Staff Assistant III (Program Assistant)
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
403033 Staff Assistant III
Duties & Responsibilities
Planetary health is a field focused on characterizing the health impacts of human-caused disruptions of Earth’s natural systems. Never before has humanity’s footprint on the natural world been so large or so threatening to human health and wellbeing. The Planetary Health Alliance (PHA) works with a global consortium of 150+ institutions to facilitate interdisciplinary research collaborations, research-to-policy translations, educational initiatives, and international outreach and communications efforts, in support of our vision to bring humanity back onto a healthy and sustainable trajectory.
The Planetary Health Alliance (PHA) seeks a Program Assistant to work closely with the PHA team to support a global community dedicated to advancing the field of planetary health. The Program Assistant will work closely with the Senior Program Manager to provide logistical and administrative support for all aspects of PHA programs. Working closely with the PHA team, the PHA Program Assistant will also be responsible for:
- Assists Senior Program Manager with financial processes, including tracking of monthly budget records and reimbursements
- Provides additional administrative support for the PHA as needed, including booking travel for PHA staff, on-campus visitors, and PHA travel scholars; scheduling, room-booking, and note-taking; and various logistical support for the PHA Annual Meeting
- Supports PHA communications by developing original content for social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn), publishing a monthly newsletter of key planetary health research, news and updates in planetary health and PHA member institutions, coordinating the PHA blog, and monitoring and reporting on the growth of the PHA’s online presence, with support from PHA staff
- Coordinates the Planetary Health Next Generation Network through liaising with university-based planetary health clubs and other initiatives in support of the development of the next generation of planetary health leaders
- Develops and maintains PHA website, including an annotated bibliography of planetary health scientific literature and the PHA educational platform
- Maintains the PHA’s member database, with support from PHA staff
- Coordinates virtual forums for the planetary health community, including the Hylo network, webinars, and other relevant efforts
- Supports key communications and partnerships within the Harvard community, including on-campus speaker visits, collaborations with the Harvard student community, and a university-wide mailing list
- Performs other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: This position has a term appointment of July 1, 2020, with the possibility of extension.
- 3+ years of related experience; a combination of education and experience may be considered
- Bachelor’s Degree is strongly preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) preferred
- Experience with Google Drive suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets) preferred
- Experience with Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and content resource management databases is a plus
- Knowledge and/or demonstrated experience in the area of global environmental change and/or public health as it relates to planetary health preferred
- Excellent writing and communication skills and synthesizes information in clear written form, particularly with regards to distilling planetary health research for our monthly newsletter preferred
- Effectively manages multiple projects and responsibilities preferred
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in working independently and as a team member preferred
The Harvard T.H. Chan of Public Health is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – including fostering respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To learn more about the Chan School’s mission, objectives, and core values, please visit our website here.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
USA – MA – Boston
55 – Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Appointment End Date
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.